Monday, July 2, 2012

Randomness

Like most blogs, this springs out of nowhere and, in all likelihood, will not see much action after a couple of months.  But, what the heck, I might as well give it a try.  I need to write my random thoughts and lists on a supposedly accessible "organizer".  Good luck with that, huh!  The little sheets of paper on which I jot my notes are often misplaced, but at least show up under a pile of junk mail or maps or newer lists, sooner or later.  And more importantly, such recoveries happen without me having to remember a password.  This will be different.


Some of the most difficult things about creating new computer accounts is having to come up with a "strongly secure" password, a unique username, and a fairly decent title for whatever it is you're trying to create.  Take this blog for example.  If I didn't feel strongly that I needed this blog to help me get more organized, I wouldn't have put myself through the torture of finding out how many extended versions of "cynthiacat" there are in the cyber universe today.


Well, anyway, I finally settled on cynthiacat60.blogspot.com for my url.  Not very imaginative, but honest about one's age.  And so, my blogging life begins at 60.


Oh, and what's that you say?  I needed to come up with a title for my blog, too?  Oh, good lord, does it never end?  So, I said "fine, let's just be random and pull a couple of words out of thin air."  But noooo, I'm not a random kind of person.  I like being spontaneous, and I'd rather be different than be a cliche.  Sad to say, however, that there is a method to my randomness.  There was indeed a method to how I "randomly" picked the two words that now grace my title page.


Since I know that there is an abundance of powerful phrases in Desiderata, one of my all-time favorite quotable prose, I figured I couldn't go wrong with just randomly picking from there.  Without knowing where I would land, I started counting the words from the quote, preparing to stop at the 97th through 100th words.  See what I mean by my inate non-randomness?


I'm not really sure if I counted correctly, but I seem to have landed at the words "the changing fortunes of".  The complete passage goes this way:  "Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time."

No comments:

Post a Comment